Saturday, February 23, 2008

San Diego Hotel (2006)

Holiday Inn on the Bay
1355 Harbor Drive
San Diego, California 92101
$127/night
$18/day for parking
I stayed at this hotel April 21-22nd. I arrived at the hotel around 1pm, which check-in was pretty fast and easy. I was unable to get a room facing the bay, so I got a room facing the city (#1084). I still had some nice views, but man, those Amtrak trains are noisy in the middle of the night! This hotel is located just a few miles from the airport.


My room (and probably most others) needs updating. The carpet needs replacing, but it wasn't disgusting to walk on. I had a nice, comfortable king bed (brough my own pillow), with the regular hotel amenities. It was nice to sit on the balcony, although it was a little chilly. I would have prefered to stay in the main building, but I believe the hotel was fully booked. The cruise ship terminal is directly across the street from the building I stayed in, so it's perfect for cruisers (pre or post cruise).

Next to the lobby is a bar/restaurant, which I had a drink one night. Pretty nice place. If you want to splurge, there's Ruth Chris Steakhouse. That place was filled everytime I walked by it.
I liked the location in that it's a short walk to the Midayway for touring, the Seaport village and a few good restaurants (Fish Market, San Diego Pier Cafe, Busters, and Anthony's Fish Grotto - Busters is good for breakfast, Pier Cafe for seafood at reasonable prices).


I also had the opportunity to take the ferry over to Coronado, then the shuttle bus to the hotel. I was able to walk from the hotel to the Gaslamp quarter (about 25 minutes) but took a taxi back to the hotel.

Service was great, both with those at the reception desk, as well as housekeeping.
Overall, I would stay here again if I could get a room facing the bay. There are lots of other hotels in the area too.

No comments: