Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Haliae, a Bald Eagle with Transmitter

6 December 2017:

Wow, it's been over a year since I last blogged. Where does the time go? I was busy with work (no more, as I retired this past July), traveling (New England in fall 2016 – CT, ME, MA; Viking river cruise in April 2017 – Budapest to Passau followed by a week in Prague; and a week in Southern Tuscany Italy before going on a transatlantic cruise in October 2017); and of course, always being active with my photography.

Last month at Conowingo Dam in Maryland, I was photographing bald eagles. While editing photos the next day, I noticed one eagle had a transmitter on its back. 

A friend of mine told me about a New Jersey organization that has banded eagles. I contacted the biologist at the Conserve Wildlife Foundation and learned more about this beautiful Eagle.  


This is Haliae. She was banded and fitted with a transmitter back in 2013. Haliae is going into her fifth year. The biologist was very excited about the news and photographs. 

I was told that CWF is following three eagles with transmitters. You can track any of the three eagles from this link. Click on Haliae's name and current year/month to see where she's hanging out. http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/protecting/eagle-trax/ 

In my photos (http://www.pileggiphotography.com/Animals/Eagle-with-Transmitter-17-November-2017/) you can see a part of her harness that is loose. The biologist hopes that the transmitter won’t fall off so they can continue to track Haliae.

You can read the CWF blog about Haliae and their bald eagle project: http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/blog/2017/12/06/new-jersey-2017-bald-eagle-project-report/

I will check up on Haliae often to see where she's been. I hope she lives a long, wonderful life. 

No comments: