Sunday, April 21, 2013

Afternoon with Dad


 



I had lunch last week with my dad. We usually go to a French restaurant (or steamed crabs during the summer) but I wanted to try something different. I googled and found a Greek restaurant in Annapolis called Chris' Charcoal Pit.

It's the kind of place I love - home-style cooking, family atmosphere, friendly waitresses, and lots of paintings, plates, etc. on the walls. There were even two large t.v. screens with a nice slide show of pictures taken in various areas of Greece.

They have an open kitchen with a busy staff making a large variety of typical Greek dishes. It looked liked they did a good amount of take-out service as well.

Dad ordered the avgolemono soup and gyro sandwich.
  

I went big with the Gyro Greek platter ($16.95), which came with a salad and choice of fries or rice. I selected the rice. Oh my! It was huge and of course, I couldn't eat it all. The gyro meat (combination of beef, lamb, and spices) was flavorful and not greasy at all. The tzatziki was creamy and with the right amount of garlic.

Dad ordered the baklava for dessert. I was too full to have any. Our waitress brought it out. She pointed out that she cut a corner off just for me. I guess  she didn't want me to leave without trying it. Another winner - sweet, sticky, and dense.



1946 West Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-266-5200

After lunch, we walked around the watefront area of Annapolis. It was a beautiful day, breezy, but not too cold. 



       

No comments: